Monday, May 10, 2010

On being a Mom...

It's the most demanding, challenging, difficult, all-consuming thing I have ever done.
.
It's the most rewarding, fulfilling, amazing, all-consuming thing I have ever done.
.
I have two children, Adrianna and Tanner. They are truly the light and love of my world. Somehow, all the best qualities of my husband and I have found their way into these two amazing individuals.
.
In many ways, they are so similar - blond hair, blue eyes, sunny dispositions, huge laughs and wacky senses of humour. They are always ready for an adventure, they love travelling and spending time with us, their favourite holiday is Christmas and they love family time.
.
We are definitely a 21st century family - my husband and I both have demanding careers, we often keep strange hours and therer isn't a lot of "down time". But somehow, we have managed to build a strong family connection. One of our favourite things to do is to snuggle up on the couch (all five of us, including the dog!) to watch a movie and munch on some chips and pop. Even when we are on vacation in Florida, at least one evening is spent this way.
.
Our kids talk to us. And we listen to them. Even though Adrianna is hitting the teen years, she still shares her life with me. When her friends come over, or we are going somewhere with them, hubby and I are always included in the conversations and silliness that happens. We are very lucky that our house and vehicle tend to be the "gathering" place for hanging out and travelling.
.
Of course, we butt heads and argue too. Sometimes we get frustrated with each other and pick at each other instead of saying "I just need some space right now". Hubby & I have firm rules and high expectations that they sometimes test, try to get around or just break. But they are honest, admit to fault and apologize. And we do too. We are all only only human and we all know that. Forgive and move on.
.
But more often, we laugh. A lot. We play practical jokes on each other, we tease, we act silly, we sing (very poorly, but very loudly!) and we tell funny stories. When one of us is down or in a grumpy mood, it doesn't take very long to find a grin or a giggle to lighten things up, allowing us to talk it over, work it out and let it go.
.
And, above all else, we love. A lot. We hug, we snuggle, we love. Every day.
.
On being a Mom ... there is absolutely nothing else in the world I would rather be.


5 comments:

PamelaM said...

I agree. Being a mom is the most challenging and rewarding job in the world. There is nothing above the snuggles they give and when they tell you that they love you.

You have wonderful children. I am sure most of it has to do with the fact they have wonderful parents.

Kirsten said...

Hardest job, best rewards!! Happy Mom's Day

JennC said...

I have to agree with you 100% Being a mom was the one thing that I have always wanted. No one said it was easy but everyone said it was worth it!
Happy Mother's Day ;0)

Queen Mel said...

You are so right! Like I suggested you need to write the book about all those things other mothers don't tell us. There is so much that can happen.

Thank you for being you! You totally rock as a mom and a friend!

"The real" MarthaSue said...

I ditto Mel :) Love ya K!